Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

Permits, Licenses, and Registrations

To find popular permits, licenses, registrations or certifications, use the links below. See the full listing for each category by clicking on the "More..." link.

Permits, Licenses, Registrations and Certifications
Sporting Licenses &
Use of State Land
Fish, Wildlife
& Plants
Commercial Fishing
& Aquaculture
Two turkey hunters on a hill at sunset A wildlife rehabilitator holds a snowy owl's wing out A commercial fishing boat at dock

More sporting/use of state land

More fish, wildlife & plants
Wastewater,Stormwater &
Water Withdrawal
Waterways, Coastlines
& Wetlands
Drilling & Mining of
Mineral Resources
The edge of a waste water treatment plant tank An excavator works on a stream bank An aerial view of an active gravel mine

More wastewater, stormwater etc.

More waterways, coastlines, etc.

Chemicals, Petroleum
& Pesticides
Air Waste Management,
Composting, Recycling
Three large tanks used for storing petroleum Blue Sky and white clouds A bulldozer in a pile of garbage at a landfill

More chemical, petroleum, etc.
More air

Didn't find what you were looking for?

Use the search box in the upper right-hand corner of this page to find a permit, form or application. Be specific for best search results, examples: "build a pond," "renew pesticide certification," "dry cleaner permit."

New businesses may need several permits from DEC and other state agencies. Use the Custom Business Checklist (leaves DEC website) to see which permits may be required.

Check the status of a permit

You can look up the status of certain permits that protect air, water, mineral, and biological resources by using the DEC Permits Applications (DART) search. The Environmental Permits webpage lists the types of permits that can be searched using DART and has a link to the system.

Get help with the permitting process

  • For assistance with permits that help protect air, water, mineral and biological resources, contact your Regional Permit Administrator. The regional permit administrator can help you determine which permits are necessary and walk you through the permitting process.
  • For sporting, recreational, temporary and other permits, contact the appropriate DEC division.

Emergency Permits

If you have a situation that threatens life, health, property, or natural resources, see Emergency Authorizations and Storm Recovery Permits.

General Permitting

General Permits are issued for activities that have been determined to have limited impact on the environment. If your activity qualifies for a General Permit, the permitting process is generally quick and simple.

Environmental Permits - What is the Uniform Procedures Act?